Marketing with Mandy Author Spotlight: Sharon Cullen

Posted by Mandy M. Roth on May 2, 2012 in Marketing with Mandy |

Q: Tell us a little about your experience with Carina Press.

A: Carina Press and more specifically, Charlotte Herscher, have been a joy to work with. They’re very positive and very open to suggestions. I just love the energy they bring to my work.

Q: What tips/tricks do you use for marketing or promoting your own titles?

A: I use a lot of social media like Facebook, Twitter and guest blogging, to get the word out. I consider marketing and promoting a year round effort, whether I have a new release or not. I think in this day and age, it’s important for an author to be out there all the time. Plus, I’m a social media addict. I LOVE talking to everyone on Twitter and Facebook. The other day I posted a funny picture on my Facebook that said, “I love my computer. All my friends live in there.” LOL. That’s exactly how I feel. So while I’m promoting and marketing, I don’t FEEL like I’m promoting and marketing.

On the other hand, I think any author needs to strike a good balance. You don’t want to inundate your followers with “buy my book” tweets and posts. That just turns people away. So occasionally I will slip a “buy my book” tweet or post in there but not often.

Q: What is one thing you’d want to tell a newer author, just coming into the game?

A: Never, never, never give up. Keep writing, keep reading. As long as you have an open mind, are willing to learn and can handle critiques of your work, you WILL succeed. But you have to be willing to work hard. Writing isn’t easy, as much as some of my non-writing friends like to believe. Its hard and you have to be willing to put the blood, sweat and tears (lots of tears) into it.

Q: Could you tell us a bit about your latest release?

A: Her Dark Knight is a cross-genre romance. A little paranormal. A little historical, a little contemporary. It’s about Christien Chevalier, a Knight Templar given the job of protecting the Holy Grail and about Madelaine Alexander, his love from seven hundred years ago who has been reincarnated. Here’s a blurb:

Madelaine Alexander is on a mission. When her boss sends her to the hottest nightclub in town to meet with the owner, she won’t be deterred, even if that means standing in line for fifty-eight minutes in torturous heels while she’d rather be home in her pj’s with a bowl of popcorn.

A Knight of the Templar, Christien Chevalier was given immortality along with the responsibility of protecting the treasure of the Templars. He’s been unwavering in his task for centuries until his one true love—who died seven hundred years ago—shows up in his club, demanding his attention.

Christien couldn’t protect Madelaine when they first fell in love. She was married to a lord and he was simply a knight. Now, through some unknown miracle, she stands before him again and they have a second chance. But Christien fears that Madelaine is being used as a pawn in a dangerous game, a game of good versus evil that could affect all of mankind…

Q: Can you tell us a little about your current WIP’s?

A: I’m working on the second Knight Templar story. I’m also working on a romantic suspense, and the plot for my next historical is swirling around in my mind. It’s very crowded in my brain at the moment.

Q: How did you get into writing?

A: I started writing when I was ten years old. I’d read YA and, not liking the ending, would rewrite the entire story. Later, I joined my high school newspaper and knew I wanted writing to be a large part of my life. I graduated with a degree in journalism from Ohio University but writing jobs are hard to find. I worked several different jobs in several different areas. Then kids came along and, well, we all know how much time kids take. But ironically, it was when I was a stay-at-home mom that I had a little come-to-Jesus with myself. If I wanted to see my dream of writing a novel come true, then I had to start right then. That was eleven years ago and I haven’t looked back. I’m having the time of my life!

Q: How do balance family and writing?

A: Now that the kids are older it’s much easier. I have two teenagers and a tween. They aren’t nearly as needy as they used to be and tend to disappear in the evenings. I write while they’re in school, then take a few hours off when they get home from school. After dinner I’ll sit on the couch with the laptop and write some more while my husband reads or watches TV beside me.

LINKS:

Homepage

Twitter

Facebook

29 Comments

Stacy Wilson
May 2, 2012 at 8:26 am

Thank you so much for being a guest here! I am looking forward to this book. Sounds wonderful! I don’t think I have ever read a book that had a Knight Templar.

Stacy Wilson

dragn_lady at yahoo dot com

Liz Semkiu
May 2, 2012 at 8:41 am

I love stories about the Knights Templar. This one sounds very interesting. As a reader, I have yet to be disappointed by any book I have purchased from Carina Press. They have some great authors and stories. Thanks for the contest!

Leah Guinan
May 2, 2012 at 8:46 am

I just can’t wait to read this book. :-) I’ve never been disappointed by any of the authors that Mandy M. Roth has recommend. Thanks for the contest.

Kristina Knight
May 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

Knights Templar are romantic, aren’t they? Love the blurb for your book, Sharon! Good luck!!!

Gayle
May 2, 2012 at 9:23 am

Can never go wrong with a recommendation for Mandy Roth. Look forward to reading this book.

Thanks,
Gayle

Allison
May 2, 2012 at 9:26 am

Sounds like a great read, Sharon. Excellent interview!
Allison´s last [type] ..Book Feature – Dance Me to the Stars

Stephanie
May 2, 2012 at 9:27 am

I Love this concept! The Knights Templar have such an air of mystery about them it’s great fun to see writers come up with their own versions. Did something specific draw your imagination to use this legend? Do you have an idea how many stories are going to be in the series?

Thanks for sharing with us today! Can wait to read more about this!

Stephanie

Melissa P.
May 2, 2012 at 9:55 am

Good luck with the series. I love finding new authors to add to my never ending TBR/TB lists.

Sharon Cullen
May 2, 2012 at 10:00 am

Thank you, everyone!

Stephanie – The Knights Templar have always intrigued me, especially so after I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail. I started reading more and more books and was sucked in by the mystery of their organization. Of course my romantic-bent mind started spinning stories.

I’m anticipating at least one more story in this series but we’ll see!
Sharon Cullen´s last [type] ..Marketing with Mandy Roth

India
May 2, 2012 at 10:19 am

Sounds like a great read. good luck

Debbie S
May 2, 2012 at 10:20 am

I read all sorts of books, but my first love has always been historical romance. Would love to read Her Dark Knight

wanda flanagan
May 2, 2012 at 10:28 am

Thank you for sharing with us today your book sounds like a great read and I love the cover just gorgeous .Have a fantastic day.

titania
May 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

Good luck with the series!!

D'Ann Lindun
May 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Great interview, Sharon. I love your books.

Cathy M
May 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Great post, Sharon, and a fun way to get to know you. Your story touches on a time in history that I don’t really know much about. Will definitely look forward to read this book.

Jennifer Lowery (Kamptner)
May 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Love the premise of this book! Can’t wait to read it!
Jennifer Lowery (Kamptner)´s last [type] ..Meet the Characters

Jeanette
May 2, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I love buying at Carina Press..they have such good authors. And when Mandy thinks they are a good place I agree. This book sounds very very good!!!@ One of my fav genres of books.

Anna Lisa McK.
May 2, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Her Dark Knight sounds really interesting! Thanks for sharing. :)

Valentina Brudasca
May 2, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Sounds like a great mix of genres! Can’t wait to read it

Tameka Green
May 2, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Oh a knight how sexy. We girls just wish we could a damsel in distress. Lol

Sara Walter Ellwood aka Cera duBois
May 2, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Great interview ladies… This book has been on my TBR pile for a while…
Sara Walter Ellwood aka Cera duBois´s last [type] ..D.R. Grady

Alta Fleming
May 3, 2012 at 3:40 am

Two recommendations from Mandy in one day…..woo-hoo! This looks like something I’ll love….I’m guessing it’ll be on my Kindle within the next few hours…. :) Oh, and the cover is pretty amazing, too…..thanks for that.

Mandy M. Roth
May 3, 2012 at 5:57 am

“Never, never, never give up. Keep writing, keep reading.” Love this bit of advice to new authors! Thanks Sharon for visiting!

I’ll select a winner for the contest on Friday!

Michelle
May 3, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Sharon I loved the part about juggling family and writing! Both are full time jobs within their selves! But I’m glad you do find the time! Enjoyed reading your Author Spotlight!

Amanda
May 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Again, cover is awesome!! I downloaded the sample for my kindle and it looks really good. Thanks for the recommendation!

Julie Newberry
May 4, 2012 at 7:28 am

Hi Mandy, great interview, Hi Sharon, Love the cover on this one, I love a man’s forearms and these certainly stand out, I love the Knight’s Templar, the fact that they have been around for centuries intrigues me, Thankyou for a wonderful giveaway, x x

julienewberry(at)btinternet(dot)com

Rhonda Walker
May 4, 2012 at 7:58 am

This sounds like a great story. Readers don’t mind the buy my book posts as long as they are evenly mixed with other fun and interesting posts. Sometimes we do need the reminders even when we have been dying for the next book!

Mandy M Roth (@mandymroth)
May 4, 2012 at 2:14 pm

CONGRATS Jennifer Lowery (Kamptner) you’ve won your choice of ebook from The Raven Books. http://www.theravenbooks.com please select the title you’d like, email me mandyATmandyrothDOTcom with the elec format you’d like it in.

Thank you everyone for joining in!

Mandy M. Roth
May 11, 2012 at 8:31 am

Remind from bottom of EVERY blog page: *PRIZES-If you win a prize in a contest or theme day (etc) from Mandy’s blog or from any of its affiliates and do not claim it within 30 days, its void.

We do this for the sanity of the record keepers.

Select Mandy Pen Name Titles

Raven Magazine FREE

Copyright © 2014 Nocturnal Journal All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek.

This blog and all its contents are for a mature audience only. Must be 18 years or older to be here and to read blog contents. If you are not 18 years or older, leave. *PRIZES-If you win a prize in a contest or theme day (etc) from Mandy's blog or from any of its affiliates and do not claim it within 14 days, its void.